Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lil Wayne

Weezy F. Baby, The Young Carter, whatever the heck he is calling himself this week. Now, I'm a New York, East Coast Hip Hop fan (circa Jadakiss, Old, Power of the Dollar esque 50 cent), but Lil Wayne has tons of shit on my computer. His rhymes can be some of the most creative, interesting, and fun to listen to lyrics that I ever here. His verse in the "One Blood" remix kills, and even his poppy singles have a really nice, smooth, raspy feel to them. He speaks in a guttery tone, but its really accessably, especially for radio, mass-consumption rap. Duffle Bag Boy blew me away the first time I heard it. I'm actually looking forward to his rumoured Rock album, soley because Weezy could absolutely destroy a well produced guitar riff. My biggest deal with Wayne is his consistancy. When you pair him with another good rapper, he has a tendancy to get lazy and not really grab the beat. Checking out his flow on Hello Brooklyn 2.0, Jay overpowers him, despite being a beat that doesn't really play to Hov's strengths. Wayne's creativity is what puts him over most rappers.






3 Stacks out of 5 - Bring the consistency up Wayne, I'm rooting for ya.

1 comment:

  1. Got a single favorite Wayne line?

    I'm pretty sure mine is "Out the window of the jet/You see L.A. like a Bruin."

    ReplyDelete