Thursday, March 5, 2009

Deadspin

Deadspin


The top of the family tree for many of todays most popular sports blogs, Deadspin was a pioneer in sports-blogging. It's difficult commentator auditions, its top notch editors (first Will Leitch, currently AJ Daulerio, along with Rich Chandler), and the breadth of its subject matter really gives you a great read. As a caveat, I comment regularly, participate in DUAN! (TBD in a seperate review, and briefly here), and have the site bookmarked.

My favorite thing about Deadspin is that it covers all sports events, from gossip, embarassing news, to actual events! DUAN!, my favorite part of the evening, involves a group of insomniacs talking about everything all night, from music/politics/sports; both fantasy and real. Also, there is quite a lot of bonding among people up on DUAN, and I feel like I know some of them better than people in the outside world.

The biggest drawback to Deadspin is a sexist tone that does make it through to some of the articles. Although I don't think AJ, Rich, Dash, or Pete do it intentioanlly, sometimes the humour does seem to come at the expense of woman. See this or this , and "Waxing Off" gets bashed pretty regularly, sometimes deservedly, but sometimes not. Also, BDD's Thursday Dick Joke Jamboree's aren't the most gender-equal colums (despite that I read it every week). Also, to be fair, I'm sure not all of my comments are entirely PC.

When Will left, I was a bit worried. However, after what I thought was a shakey start, AJ has turned out solid, funny, and gave a new, different, but still funny tone the writing. He also didn't drop a banhammer on me when I posted a rediculous picture of him. Further Deadspin mentions on this blog probably will be along the lines of "Week In Review" when it warrents it. As it is, we all see the 5 YWMLs coming, correct.





No comments:

Post a Comment